MS Intellimice optical 'shutting down' anyone?

Andre Costa acosta at ar.microlink.com.br
Thu Mar 11 18:45:00 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 10:21:20 -0700
Tommy McNeely <Tommy.McNeely at Sun.com> wrote:

> I have the same problem.. Mine is also fixed by unplugging/replugging
> the mouse.. although I suggest using USB for that, I don't think PC's
> really enjoy their PS2 ports being futzed with while they are on.  I
> had to switch to USB a long time ago because of interrupt shortages,
> but apparently I have more in my new computer. Well ok.. in FC1, it
> was 32, but now (FC2t1) apparently its some obscene number like 256?
> must be a linux 2.6 thing?
>
> Anyhow, I suggest moving it to USB.. then you can essentially remove
> and re-install the mouse by hot-plugging it (don't do this if you are
> burning a CD, I think it causes the CD burn to fail.. it used to).
>
> I am as well using the nvidia driver, but can't really use the nv
> driver without 3D acceleration or TwinView.. mostly I find it "asleep"
> when I come back from being gone all night which made me think it was
> a power management issue. It does, however, sometimes fail while I am
> using it.. but I switch back and forth (el-cheapo USB KVM) between a
> Sunray, so its constantly getting re-init'd during the day.

Thks for the info, I might consider trying USB in the future.

I did some experiments with nv driver, and it worked well except for
mouse cursor randomly changing -- really weird -- and lack of GL support
(it was a test, I didn't bother switching back from NVidia's libs).

I then tried downgrading NVidia driver from 5336 to 4996, and when I
tried launching UT2004, it complained no GL extensions were available.
After a short googling, I learned that some libs installed by
XFree86-Mesa-libGL (the ones at /usr/X11R6/lib/tls) were still hanging
around. I thought NVidia install script removed them, but
apparently it didn't (maybe 5336 does), so I removed them
manually, re-ran ldconfig and restarted X, and all seemed back to
normal. I even played a little of UT2004, no hangs.

So, I reinstalled 5336 (now with Mesa libs definitely gone), and have
been running it for 5h already, still no hangs. Still, I am not
convinced mouse will not hang again.

I am really skeptical about GL causing mouse to fail, so for me this is
still an opened issue... I will insist on 5336 for the time being.

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa