samba Problem

Mario St-Gelais legrimpeur at sympatico.ca
Thu Mar 11 23:54:38 UTC 2004

Thomas Wilson wrote:

>Well you're on the right track with the NT_Status error. I get that too,
>and you should if you have it set to user. There's more you should have to
>type into that command to get it to run correctly. If you read the man page
>on smbclient (its long) it'll tell you about the other switches.
>
>Do a "smbpasswd -a (username)" and give it a password that'll add the user.
>It should be the same user/pass for windows, remember windows is case
>sensitive. Then do a "smbpasswd -e (username you just created) to enable
>the user, it'll get you to where I am. The only other 3 things you need to
>make sure you have in your global section is:
>
>encrypt passwords = yes
>smb passwd file = /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>password server = none
>
>Check permissions on the folders (var and opt are both set to 755 with an
>owner and group of root. That may be what's causing your problems
>currently. Try going in to users and groups if the above still doesn't work
>and add one of your users to the root group and see what happens.
>

>Ryan

According to RedHat Linux bible, Fedora and Entreprise edition, page
713, I shoule be able to run smbclient -L localhost either as root or
user that has access to samba. Also when I use to be able to acces my
linux box via the laptop, the linux directoreis would be mapped then I
was asked to provide passords. After I provided passwords, then I was
told if whether or not I had the rights to acces the folders. So I don't
see how the file permissions have anything to do at this time.

In any case, I again made the above suggested changes. No succes
whatsoever. Here is what smbclient -L localhost gives now :

Domain=[P2] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.2-7.FC1]

Sharename Type Comment
--------- ---- -------
var Disk
opt Disk
marst Disk root directory
IPC$ IPC IPC Service (samba server)
ADMIN$ IPC IPC Service (samba server)
Domain=[P2] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.2-7.FC1]

Server Comment

Workgroup Master
LOCALDOMAIN LAPTOP

There are no server listed and the Domain has been changes for P2, while
it used to be localdomain. P2 is the name of the linux box.

--
Mario St-Gelais