viruses from mailinglist

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Mar 12 02:09:59 UTC 2004

Steve Searle wrote:

>Around 02:11am on Thursday, March 11, 2004 (UK time), Jim Cornette scrawled:
>
><rant>
>

>>Thanks for posting what was in the zip. I never opened it to see.
>>

>No thanks from me - I thought it was a waste of bandwith.  And why two
>people thought it was necessary to requote the whole thing I can't begin
>to imagine.

High speed connections don't really care if the file is a bit large. I
should have trimmed the message though. Sorry!

>>Having the virus containing posts within the list archive is probably
>>not a good thing to have. If people that are running windows happen onto
>>the site and open the attachments, it would not help with attempting to
>>increase Linux usage numbers. That is, unless you tell them to download
>>the installation iso files, instruct them on how to burn the CDs, before
>>reading the archives.
>>

>Was it established that it came from the list.  Virus infected emails
>usually spoof the from address.  Is it actually in the archives?

It was in the blinux-list archives and I have received filtered mail
about a virus within the mail. The main point is that the bogus messages
that contain the virus should be removed from the list archives.

After receiving the virus alert from my ISP. I usually see discussions
based on the heading of the winvirus mail spoofs.

></rant>

No rants, just concern of leading a perspective Linux convert, that s
still running windows, into a "minefield" for the list archives.

I was interested in the contents of the virus pack for windows. (zip w/
password to evade mail scanners.)

Jim