Strange problem with crond

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 12 02:41:52 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 11:37:22AM +0100, dballester at kernpharma.com wrote:

> Thanks for your answer Tom.
>
> This morning, i deleted the offending tmp.<number> file that /var/log/cron
> claimed as ORPHAN, stopped crond an started again. Now i don't have ORPHAN
> warning, but when times come, cron doesn't execute the script.
>
> I used crontab -u root -e to force cron to point root user, but nothing
> changed.
>
> FYI ( I you can help me a little bite ) If I put the same script under
> /etc/cron.hourly, then the script is executed correctly every hour ¿?

Let us seperate each component.

First start with the id command.  If you do not login as this specific user
it is important to use "su" with the "-" flag to change user identity.

    # su -
 not
    # su

The next step is to inspect the crontab file.

    # crontab -l > /tmp/check-this-crontab

There is a difference in "at" processing, "anacron" and "crontab" processing.
I need to make sure we are working only with cron, thus the crontab -l.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l