Why FC-2?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Fri Mar 12 16:49:06 UTC 2004

Generally when upgrading Linux it is best to do a fresh install of the
new operating system. This is because of the libraries primarily.

What you usually want to do is keep /home (and possibly /usr/local) on
their own partitions so that you can reinstall w/o needing to worry
about that. I don't keep /usr/local on it's own myself - for the library
problem (new shared libraries rarely work well with binaries that want
the old ones - that's why there's a crapload of compat packages)

You want to save your ssl keys, save your /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/
shadow files - and if applicable, /etc/hosts.

There may be some other /etc files you wish to save as well.
Put them on a couple floppies (redundancy) and after install - boot off
of a knoppix CD to restore those files (or log in as root and restore
them - but I prefer to restore before first boot)

You do need to check the files first - sometimes (especially if changing
distro) the uid/gid's for system users are different and you want to
adjust for that.