Modem use

Aaron Konstam akonstam at trinity.edu
Fri Mar 12 21:55:30 UTC 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 04:55:03PM -0500, WA9ALS - John wrote:
> How do I get a modem connection going from the console?  (newbie language
> please)
>
> What "stay-connected" options do I ahve from the console?
>
> Thanks
Lately I have bben using redhat-configure-network to set up the ppp0
account files. This willl allow you to choose phone number, and other
options to ppp0 interface just as you would have to do with wvdial or
kppp. Then to get the interface connected use modem lights which you
can add to the panel by right  clicking and going to Add to
paned -> Internet-> modem lights. Only two suggestions: 1. change the
name of the lock file in /var/lock to LCK..ttySx (0 or 1). And picj
appropriate status colors. left click to connect and disconnect. Works
faster than othe dialup programs.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University