Trouble with the at command under tcsh

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Fri Mar 12 23:46:09 UTC 2004

Paul Hein wrote:
> I have started to have trouble with the at command.  It works when the
> account uses bash shell but not when it uses tcsh.  For example:
>
>>printenv | grep SHELL
>
> SHELL=/bin/tcsh
>
>>at now
>
> at> w
> at> <EOT>
> job 31 at 2004-03-12 15:51
>
> And the result is a lot of stuff like this:
> HOME=/home/hein: Command not found.
> export: Command not found.
> SHLVL=1: Command not found.
> export: Command not found.
> OSTYPE=linux: Command not found.
> export: Command not found.
>
> The logs show nothing at all, and SHELL is not listed among the "Command
> not found" lines.  This occurs on all my Fedora Core 1 machines.  It
> looks like it needs bash or sh to run.  Any ideas to what I can do to
> fix this?

I can confirm this effect when launching an @-job from the command line.
It looks like it's trying to recreate the environment of your current
shell using bash-style 'export' and 'VARIABLE=value' syntax, only
because it's doing it in tcsh, it fails.

I'm pretty sure that at was working a month or so ago, but haven't
spotted what the change could have been.