How do I teach Spam Assassin?

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Sat Mar 13 01:12:45 UTC 2004

jdow wrote:

>From: "Bevan C. Bennett" <bevan at fulcrummicro.com>
>

>>Christofer C. Bell wrote:
>>

>>>I've been collecting spam email that's gotten past my Fedora Core 1
>>>installation of spam assassin (spamassassin-2.63-0.2) and I'd like to
>>>

>"teach"
>

>>>spam assassin about these messages (update the heuristics to be able to
>>>filter these messages that are getting past the filter by default).
>>>
>>>Someone posted a command that does this on the list some time ago and
>>>

>I've
>

>>>unfortunately lost that message.  How can I teach spam assassin (system
>>>

>wide)
>

>>>about this email?  Thanks!
>>>

>>"man sa-learn" has more information about this, as does
>>/usr/share/doc/spamassassin-2.60/README.
>>

>http://wiki.spamassassin.org/ is an astonishingly good place to learn
>about the ins and outs of SpamAssassin. it also mentions the home pages
>of various custom rule sets like 99_TripWire, BigEvil, and many others.
>
>It is well worth the visit.
>
>(I have "progressed" to the point that SA filters my mail. I read my
>mail via a secure pop2 connection. I maintain spam, oldspam, ham, and
>oldham folders on a special account via IMAP to mbox files. I have a
>futility that filters off the message 1 the imap tool insists must be
>there so that a cron job every night runs "salearn" for me. This is
>all rather handy when I am running this email tool. When I get time I
>plan to revisit tossing the special folders into my main email account
>"safely". I understand more now than when I started. {^_-})

I am interested in how you do this.
I use fetchmail to get me mail by pop3 from the isp and put it in my
account on the linux box.  I then need to get it into the maildirs
(instead of the default mailbox) so I can teach SA, but am unsure of the
mechanics of making that happen.  Any pointers on getting the maildirs
working will be greatly appreciated.