MySQL Version 4

Joe Orton jorton at redhat.com
Sat Mar 13 16:21:58 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 03:38:41PM +0000, WipeOut wrote:
> >Hans Müller wrote:
> >
> >>Why will FC 2 have only MySQL version 3 and not the newer 4?
> There has been a recent change to the License which may change things,
> but who knows.. I guess its in RedHat's hands..
>
> http://www.mysql.com/products/foss-exception.html

We're (still) working with MySQL to resolve this.

1) Any changes to the MySQL web site do not affect the licensing of
the code in released tarballs

2) The current proposed license exception seems to be useless for us
since it only applies if you do not bundle derivative works of the MySQL
client libraries (to which the exception is intended to apply) with the
MySQL Server.  Which would mean we could only use the MySQL 4.0 client
if we did *not* use the MySQL 4.0 Server.

(IANAL, but that seems to be the clear intent of the exception)

Regards,

joe