stability of fedora for server application?

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Sat Mar 13 16:26:49 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:19, shane c branch wrote:
> Dexter Ang wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:01, shane c branch wrote:
> >> I currently have RH9 running on one of my servers at work. Now that the
> >> RH project has ended and Fedora has taken its place, I'm considering
> >> either upgrading or reinstalling that box with Fedora.
> >>
> >> However, I'm concerned if Fedora will be stable enough for the server. I
> >> would move to RHEL, but my dept isn't too keen on spending money at this
> >>   point, which also has me considering going to Debian, as it has a
> >> reputation for stability.
> >>
> >> Any opinions appreciated.
> >
> > This would all depend on what you need. As for me, I am running Fedora
> > Core 1 on our server without an problems so far. It's running the
> > following services:
> > - DNS
> > - DHCP Server
> > - Samba File Server
> > - SMTP and POP3
> > - MySQL, Apache, PHP for Groupware
> > - iptables for firewall and NAT.
> > Hardware it's running on is generic stuff. No name brand servers here.
> > With 3 IDE 40gb HDD configured as RAID5 array. We're cheap. But it runs
> > great. Of course, load is hardly ever maximized (maybe 50% at most).
> > Again, stability, I guess, would depend on what you use the server for.
> > Generally, Fedora is stable enough as a server. But I hear it's a pain
> > for SMP machines.
> >
> > dex
> >

> I would be using it for
> DCHP
> DNS
> SAMBA
> Potentially some web services, but that would only be for a small <20 users

Fedora should have any problems with these. I've been running them
without any issues at all. In fact, I've had no problems since first
installation, and until now, with all the updates installed.

> The hardware is an IBM Netfinity 5000 with dual PIII and 1gb of RAM.
> So if you are correct about SMP problems, maybe I should try Debian?

>From what I hear, you could run the Uni Processor kernel. But then your
other processor would be wasted. You'd have to get the opinions of
others. Or better yet, maybe search through the fedora-list archives (is
it up yet?) concerning SMP issues.

By all means, if you have the time, try any other Linux distro which you
believe will suit you. Debian is a good choice. You could probably also
stick to old RH, as they are said to be supported by the Fedora Legacy
project.

dex