Problem with Maxtor ATA card

Atrus atrus at bellsouth.net
Sat Mar 13 22:23:19 UTC 2004

I did manage to fix the problem. After tweaking fstab and lilo with
little avail, I bit the bullet and reinstalled fedora after making a
backup of the partition.  This seemed to fix the problem which leads me
to believe the problem was either lilo based, or there was some hidden
corruption somewhere between my initrd and fstab.  Either way my advice
to anyone whom may have problems with this card would be to :

1. Triple check the bootloader config file and the /etc/fstab file and
make sure they match what the kernel detects. Any drive switches should
be reflected in these two files.

2. Possibly install a different bootloader. The boot loaders install
process may correctly detect the drives in the proper order.

3 Finally if nothing else, an reinstall would fix the issue. Be
extremely sure that you have a data backup before you do this of course.

Thanks again for everyone's help with this.

Alexander was helpful Re: Problem with Maxtor ATA cardwith :

Am So, den 07.03.2004 schrieb Atrus um 21:20:

> Thanks for the reply. I found via google that the Maxtor card has a
bad
> habit of switching the order that the IDE drives are detected. The
> motherboards BIOS settings are correct: my 1st hard drive is hda, etc.
> There is no way to change the settings on the Maxtor card. So, I
figure
> that the Maxtor card is flat overriding the motherboard's BIOS. I then
> pull out my handy Fedora CD to boot into linux rescue to make changes
> lilo.conf and/or /etc/fstab. After I boot, all my devices are in the
> correct order?!

The devices will be in the new, changed order, but your installed FC1
will know where which parts are to be found.

> Is there a way to boot and find how pivot_root is mounting devices and
> make any heeded changes there?
>
> Since the fedora CD detected everything correctly, will a reinstall of
> fedora put everything back in check.

You already booted into rescue mode using the CD 1 and found all drives
and their previous place? I would wonder if so.

Of course you could reinstall. But I would recommend editing
grub.conf/lilo.conf and fstab (including rewriting the bootloader).

> Again, Thanks immensely for your help!
>
> Atrus

Alexander