Core 1 to Core 2

Tom Needs a Hat Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 14 00:11:06 UTC 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 10:00:00PM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Sa, den 13.03.2004 schrieb Murat Isik um 21:52:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have question about soon to be released Core 2. I have a few old Redhat
> > 9 boxes at work for which I am planning upgrade to Fedora. However I am
> > reluctant about an upgrade now since Core 2 will soon be released and as
> > far as I get it, it will be quite different from C1 (starting with the kernel itself).
> >
> > My main question is that will Core 1 users be able to upgrade to Core 2 throug
> > up2date, yum or any other means of update or will we be have to make a clean
> > install of Core 2?

> See the thread "Why FC-2?"

Good advice.

I love these questions because they require people to be clairvoyant.

My updates via CDROM from RH7 --> RH8 --> RH9 --> FC1 --> FC1.9 went
well enough.  I do see the normal mix of 'test' issues on my test box.

I do recommend an update via CDROM simply because that is the most
testable upgrade path.  CDROM updates also validate a failsafe
recovery path for you.  A live update via 'yum' will work for lots and
lots of people but there is always a risk that something running and
OK on the old-live system will be badly configured, absent or broken
after the update.  If you have troubles, knowing you can boot the CDROM
is nice to know.

I expect that FC1 to FC2 upgrades will be fine for most people (yum or
CDROM).  Still, unless you are clairvoyant, we will not know until we
get there.

If your RH9 machines have been tinkered with: custom applications,
drivers, multimedia, mp3, MySQL, opengl, things will be "interesting".

My expectation is that FC2 will generate an excess of noise because
free RH9 rhn update packages will be out of the picture. Like the game
of musical chairs there will be a big rush to get resettled as soon as
the music stops.  Right now lots of people are blindfolded, going in
circles, some new chairs are being added, some old chairs are being
removed.

My advice is to find a banger machine and tinker (take off the
blindfold and stop listening to the blindfolded masses).  Match your
banger machine as best you can to your RH9 systems and then upgrade to
FC1 and/or FC1.N .....  check the FAQ's, Google search and yes post
your questions, issues and bugs to the correct groups as you encounter
them.

I had to recompile some stuff like pine, other old binaries built on
RH7.3 are running unchanged.

If you do not have a banger test machine you will have to take
some chances and do some more research.

Right now, a fully up2date FC1 box is quite good.  If you encounter a
RH9 issue that you cannot get patched on RH9, FC1 should be a good
safe harbor.  If No RH9 issues force you to move, you may find that
FC2 is the right choice.   It is all about the timing of the critical
bug that forces you to move.  Much of the timing is up to you.

I have positive expectations for FC2.

Lets see there are a lot of packages (rpm -q -a | wc -l .... 1300+) I
know that 1300! includes a couple silly combinations but 1300! is some
measure of the complexity for testing all combinations of things.
Then toss in things you are upgrading from, yep... 1300 is a good
number...  but how big is 1300! it you ask?

 #!/bin/sh
 N=1300
 echo "N=$N"
 time  bc << END_OF_FACTORIAL
 define f(x) {
   auto t;
   if(x != 0) t=x;
   while ( x > 1 ) {
      t=t*(x-1);
      x=x-1;
    }
 return(t)
 }
 x = $N
 f(x)
 quit
 END_OF_FACTORIAL

SUMMARY: If it is important to you, test it yourself.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l