FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Ben Steeves bcs at metacon.ca
Sun Mar 14 04:35:41 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 00:21, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> Look I am not trying to be snotty :-> I just cant believe that everthing
> that is available for linux must have dependencies, If the M$ freaks can
> get programs to install with install shields then why cant we do it in
> Linux. Thats all.

That's a question of philosophy.  In Windows, everything one could ever
need (in terms of API) is either built into Windows or you supply your
own (which is why you get into the Windows equivalent of dependency hell
-- DLL conflicts!).  In Linux, various projects build on the base
established by other projects.

Here, go read this:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Biculturalism.html

...it will serve as an acceptable introduction to the differences in
culture between Windows and Unix.  Then you should read "The Art of Unix
Programming", linked to in that article.

Cheers,
	Ben
Ben Steeves                     _                    bcs at metacon.ca
 The ASCII ribbon campaign     ( )               ben.steeves at unb.ca