motherboard decision help

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Sun Mar 14 13:09:09 UTC 2004

Randy Kelsoe wrote:

> I am using the GigaByte GA-7N400 Pro2 MB, which uses the Nvidia
> nforce2 chipset. I'm not using any of the Nvidia drivers. This mobo
> uses the RealTek 8169 onboard gigabit lan, and not the nforce2 lan. I
> tried using the Nvidia drivers for the onboard sound, and they had
> problems. Anaconda selected the intel8x0

driver for the onboard video, and that works much better than the Nvidia
driver. This mobo has worked well with RH9 (but needed a later kernel),
and has worked

   (yikes! that should have been 'onboard audio' not 'onboard video')

well with FC1 right out of the box. It's almost twice the price of the
GA-7VT600-L, but it has SATA, RAID, and Dual Channel memory. I'm not
using the RAID, but SATA works (though not at full speed yet), and dual
channel memory is about 50% faster than single channel mode. There is
also a cheaper model that does not have the RAID and SATA, and has a
100base T NIC.