stability of fedora for server application?

shane c branch scbranch at barton.edu
Sun Mar 14 14:45:13 UTC 2004

Dexter Ang wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 02:21, shane c branch wrote:
>> Dexter Ang wrote:
>>
>>   You could probably also
>> > stick to old RH, as they are said to be supported by the Fedora Legacy
>> > project.
>> >
>> > dex
>> >

>> Regarding the support, this is one of the reasons I was thinking of
>> switching. I seem to recall that up2date was not going to support RH9
>> any longer. This makes it a pain to keep the server patched, because i'd
>> have to download and install each package, rather than using an up2date
>> script someone provided for me from the shrike list (thanks again).
>>
>> I was thinking that moving to fedora would allow me to keep the update
>> service. So you are saying that there is a way to continue to get
>> updates with RH9?
>
> from what i understand, the fedora legacy project will try to produce
> updates for critical packages. i think the link is at
> www.fedoralegacy.org, though i may be wrong.
>
> also, i think they have a yum repository for those updates, so it should
> just be a matter of installing yum, making sure the repo is in your
> yum.conf, and go yum update.
>
> of course, i may be wrong as i am no longer using rh9 and below, except
> for rh7.3. also of note, fedoralegacy isn't officially a part of
> redhat... so if you're paranoid... =)
>
> dex

I think you are correct on the Fedora Legacy Project. I ran across a
link from another poster's message regarding booting from USB keys.

It appears all one needs to do is choose yum or apt, install, and
updates are provided. I still have some time on RH9, they said they will
start support for it at the end of April.
--
regards,

shane