motherboard decision help

Paul paul at all-the-johnsons.co.uk
Sun Mar 14 15:03:11 UTC 2004

Hi,

> One MB that has caught my eye is the Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L, a Via KT600
> chipset board. It also has integrated audio and LAN, using Realtec ALC-655
> audio chipset and Realtec 8101L 10/100 LAN chipset. I'd appreciate it if
> any of you know of how well this board and these chipsets are supported
> in a modern Linux if you'd let me know. This Gigabyte board can be
> purchased today for US$63 from newegg (not a plug, just a fact).

I have this same board in a machine at work and while it works fine, the
VIA chipset tends to muck up frequently (that said, I've never liked VIA
or SiS). The ALC65 is a bog standard AC97 device and the network works
fine, though again, I never like onboard networking (though it has
becoming a hell of a lot better recently), so use a Realtek 8139 100base
nic. Much nicer IMO.

I would avoid AOpen motherboards - from my experience they give nothing
but trouble. Asus are pretty neat though, but the best out there are
gigabyte mobos.

TTFN

Paul

--
"Logic, my dear Zoe, is merely the ability to be wrong with authority"
Dr Who