FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Homer hparker at homershut.net
Sun Mar 14 15:47:20 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 23:26, Chadley Wilson wrote:

> Could you spare some knowledge on the proceedure when using tcpdump and
> what I am supposed to be looking for please?

	If it's a stand alone workstation, with one ethernet port, then all you
need to do is:

su -
tcpdump

	That will show you all of your network traffic.. Then, start your
updater (I prefer yum), and watch the output on the screen... It's a bit
cryptic, but not bad after looking at it for a couple of minutes.. You
might even start with using your web browser, and see what goes where,
and then try your updater... They both have to do the same thing, so
that would be a good comparison.. Hopefully that will give you an idea
of where the problem is...

--
Homer Parker			/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign
BOFH for homershut.net		\ / No HTML/RTF in email

"Bill Gates reports on security progress made and the challenges ahead."
-- Microsoft's Homepage, on the day an SQL Server bug crippled large
   sections of the Internet.