Running emacs through ssh problem

Scott A. Zanke zank at zank.com
Sun Mar 14 17:57:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 20:09, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 07:40:26PM -0500, Scott A. Zanke wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a small home network running three linux boxes and one wintel
> > box. All are connected through a Linksys BEFSR11 router and internet,
> > NFS and samba are all working fine. Here's the setup..
> > Kiwi - 192.168.1.2 - Web and mail server running RH7.3
> > Mango - 192.168.1.5 - Files and Print server running Fedora Core 1.
> > Kahuna - 192.168.1.3 - Fedora Core 1 Workstation
> > Grape - 192.168.1.4 - Win98 box
> >
> > Kiwi is headless and I administer it from Kahuna thru ssh using emacs or
> > vi and everything works well.
> > I just set up Mango as the file and print server for the network. I did
> > a custom server install of Fedora on this box. The problem is that I
> > can't run emacs when I ssh into it from Kahuna and I'm just learning vi.
> > I can run emacs -nw whateverdoc or emacs -d 127.0.0.1:10 whateverdoc but
> > if I run emacs whateverdoc I get the following error...
> >
> > [root at mango root]# emacs whateverdoc
> > _X11TransSocketINETConnect: Can't get address for localhost
> > emacs: Cannot connect to X server localhost:10.0.
> > Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
> > Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
> > connections from your machine.
>
> I suspect a ForwardX11 problem in ~/.ssh/config.
>
> There have been reports of emacs failing where other X programs
> work. Try xclock on Kahuna and see if it displays on Mango. If it
> does, it's an emacs problem. I haven't seen it, though.
>
> You might find this useful as a checklist, although it's a bit
> dated. http://www.charlescurley.com/OpenSSH.html
>
> If all else fails, you can run emacs without X via a command like
> option. See emacs' info for details. But the X interface is better.
>

> > Here's some netstat output when I'm on Mango..
> > [root at mango root]# netstat -nlp |grep 6000
> > tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 5160/X
> >
> > Here's some netstat output when I'm on Kahuna
> > [root at kahuna root]# netstat -nlp |grep 6000
> > tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:6000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 24094/X
>
> SSH tunnels X; you might even close these ports with the firewall.
>

> > When I'm sitting at Mango console I can ssh into either Kiwi or Kahuna
> > and run emacs with no problems.
<snip>
Thanks Charles. I used your SSH page and ForwardX11 yes was set in the
ssh_config files. It had something to do with my custom server install.
I made some hardware changes to the system and decided to reinstall.
This time I was very careful about what I installed using the server
install method. Running emacs through ssh works fine now.

Thanks,
zank