ati 9200 and hardware acceleration

Jonathan Marc Bearak jonathanbearak at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 20:43:45 UTC 2004

I have been helping someone install Fedora Core 1 onto an Acer Ferrari
3000 laptop.  Almost everything has worked flawlessly except for the
video card.  He has an ATI Radeon 9200.  (I have been assisting him
remotely through SSH.)

I have tried to follow (roughly) the instructions found at
http://users.actrix.co.nz/michael/radeon9200.html.

I can get the open-source radeon driver to work with the card as a 9200
or a 9000 using those instructions.  But I cannot figure out how to
enable 3D hardware acceleration.

(I also tried to get the proprietary drivers to work, but there is some
sort of discoloration.  He tells me that the GDM login screen looks
fine, but after logging in, there are color lines.)

How do I enable 3D hardware acceleration in the open-source radeon
driver?

Thanks.