Redundance / Balance two links.

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Sun Mar 14 22:50:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 12:45 -0800, Cristiano Soares wrote:
>     - First ADSL router is: 192.168.1.1 (DNS & default Gateway)
>         -(eth0) = 192.168.1.200 (default route)
>     - Second ADSL router is: 192.168.0.254 (DNS & default Gateway)
>         -(eth2) = 192.168.0.200

Have you tried to use both routes at the same time?

I'm talking from heart since I can't access the server I have this
configuration set up, but I altered

  /etc/sysconfig/network

to include the following line:

  . /etc/sysconfig/gateway

and in /etc/sysconfig/gateway I put something like:

ip route add default class scop global \
	nexthop via 192.168.1.1 \
	nexthop via 192.168.0.254

It has a couple of very minor problems:
 1  /etc/sysconfig/network is called before lifting the devices so it
complains that the network does not exist, but when the interfaces come
up, the route is there.

 2  /etc/sysconfig/network is called _also_ on stop, which causes some
"weird" messages too (that aren't really a problem, just not pretty).

It can be improved to do it in a more elegant form, but this way both
links will be used at the same time.

Hugs, Rui
+ So let's do it...?