Problem Accessing Specific Site

Clint clint at penguinsolutions.org
Mon Mar 15 13:14:02 UTC 2004

I am letting a friend borrow one of my FC1 boxes to try it out. So far,
everything seems to be going well. Now I've got a problem I can't figure
out and need some help!

He can't access http://cyclingnews.com using any browser, he can't ping
it, and traceroute cyclingnews.com fails at the 14th node on the route.

Here are the things we've tried:

- We've tried Moz, Konq, and the text-only Links browser, and none of
them are able to hit the site. (but I can hit it just fine using all of
those browsers on my own machine)
- He's on with Earthlink and their responses are: "We don't support
Linux." "You need to install PHP" (huh??? -- don't get me started, I
say!), "We don't support Mozilla", "You need to reinstall Mozilla" and
"The problem is with the cyclingnews.com site."
- We've tried connecting his old Win box to the same connection and it
hits the site just fine.
- We've double-checked the DNS numbers and they look fine.
- Java is running fine (we tested it out with other sites that use Java,
like the NOAA weather map animations)
- The system is fully updated with kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.
- JavaScript is enabled. Popups are blocked, however, just as they are
on my own machines here.
- We've cleared the cache, history, and removed the cookie associated
with cyclingnews.com and that didn't change anything.
- I ping'd cyclingnews.com and sent him the numeric IP (210.10.97.10) to
try. That failed also.

So I'm out of ideas as to why he can't hit this one site with the FC1
box, but the Win box has no trouble on the same line. This is a cable
modem, if that is critical.

Keep in mind that he's been able to successfully hit the site for weeks
on this same FC1 machine, and only a week ago has he been unable to hit it.

I sure could use some advice here. I poked through Bugzilla, but only
found a similar symptom that was related to a laptop and PCMCIA modem,
which this desktop doesn't have.

--
Clint <clint at penguinsolutions.org>