Help with setting up email

Paul Thomas paul at tmsl.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 15 14:22:16 UTC 2004

On 15/03/2004 06:55 Andrew Cocker wrote:
> Hi
> I am confused and don't know how to set up mail so it works the way I
> want I
> to.
>
> I have a registered domain myname at id.au.  It is configured so that all
> mail
> sent to *.myname.id.au is directed to my ISP where I currently retrieve
> it
> using Outlook on  Windows PCs via my Linux (FC1) server providing NAT.  I
> have a 'permanent' ADSL connection but a dynamic IP address; therefore I
> do
> not have a fully qualified internet hostname.
>
> I want to use Linux to retrieve all mail sent to my ISP and sort it in to
> various folder in var/spool/mail based upon the address;
> name1 at myname.id.au,
> name2 at myname.id.au etc.  Members of my family will respectively retrieve
> using POP3 and Outlook from various PCs on my home LAN.
>
> POP3 is working OK and retrieves from the right folder in /var/spool/mail
> and Fetchmail works OK but will not actually download because 'nothing is
> listening on the port'.  I am confused about what I need to be running to
> be
> listening to Fetchmail and receive the mail so it can be sorted,
> presumably
> by procmail.  Postfix won't run without a fully qualified domain name and
> don't have one.  How do I collect the output from fetchmail and sort into
> mail spools.  Note I don't really want to be using Linux to send mail,
> just
> retrieve it.

If you don't want to run a MTA suchas Postfix or sendmail, you need to
tell fetchmail to use a MDA instead as its default action is to deliver to
port 25 on the local machine. Check out the -m <command> | --mda <command>
option in the fetchmail man page.

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |