FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Mon Mar 15 16:05:57 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 12:03, Roger Beever wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 04:28, Homer wrote:
> > On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 22:21, Chadley Wilson wrote:
> >

> >  If the M$ freaks can
> > > get programs to install with install shields then why cant we do it in
> > > Linux. Thats all.
> One reason is that dll's and other items are included which makes the
> program being installed work but could break another if the dll being
> installed happens to be older than the one already there.
> I do realised that some programmers installers check what is installed
> before starting but there still a lot that don't.
> With Linux you might well have all the dependencies installed So don't
> need to download them.
> Regards Roger

But the question would be is how do know what the dependencies are I
always have to find out the hard way which means trial for half an hour
then error for three days then glory the app works.
Is there no easy way.

I have had 7 clients return PCs to me because I have been very brave and
put them on Linux platforms[FC1]. The only reason these systems have
been returned is because the clients cant get things installed.
Let me give you a breakdown of the user demands maybe you can assist.

Let me start on the positive note:

K3B is a brilliant app the guys love it to bits, it is very user
friendly and it is skin-able it come with but one skin, Boo. But it is
still early days for the app and I am sure it will improve.

Xmms the negative note, Firstly it has no media library and searching
for songs is difficult. I have a chap who wants to run his disco and so
would I, using Linux and xmms or similar. I don't need a DJ Mixing
station although would be nice with certain MP3s I have.
Skins are few and square, the enduser base are demanding skins that have
shape, forms and lots of character.

Another negative is the volume controls in xmms respond very slowly
especially in the equaliser to adjustments.
I could go all night but these are simple things that need to be
resolved.

So you see I am certainly not trying beat linux with a wip I merely
trying to point out that we are 5 years ahead on the OS but 5 behind on
the apps.
We need some how to create a balance.
When I say the apps are behind I am not refering to functionaltiy I am
refering to looks. People like what they see and want it. Out OS
especially FC looks brilliant modern and cool, phrase it anyway you
like. Where as windoze is nothing more than a good looking skin, it
sells based on that skin. 90% of my Windoze clients cant use it but want
the look.

Chad