Installing advanced kernel,configuring mouse:help required

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Mar 15 16:07:28 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 15.03.2004 schrieb Kaustubh Ghosh um 15:35:
> I have a intel chipset motherboard(P III) and donot have any agp card.
> As far as I see some modules donot load.For example there is another error
>
> insmod:error cannot insert
> '/lib/modules/2.6.4-1.257/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_ac

This is "hard coded" in /etc/rc.sysinit. Nothing to worry about, it does
no harm.

> I cannot play any sound file from text mode using mpg123.
> The error is "Can't find a suitable libao driver.(Is driver in use?"
>
> On sunning sndconfig the error comes as
>
> "You don't seem to be running a kernel with modular sound enabled.(soundcore.o
> was not found in the modular search path).To use sndconfig you must be
> running a kernel with modular sound ,such as the kernel shipped with Red Hat
> Linux or a 2.2 or greater kernel."

Do you have ALSA installed?

> Anyway the main reason why my X-server don't start seems to be that my
> mouse pointer is not setup properly.I get glimses of the blue screen of gdm
> but is dumped back to text mode and then my machine tries to set configure
> mouse but ultimately fails,asking me to operate in text mode.

Did you change /etc/X11/XF86Config to use as mouse device
/dev/input/mice?

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:05:23 up 6 days, 17:24, load average: 0.19, 0.15, 0.12
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]