FC1 2 3 RH9 10 MDK 6 7 8 9

roger2 roger2 at rogernet.net
Mon Mar 15 16:17:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:05:57 +0200, Chadley Wilson <chadley at pinteq.co.za>
wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 12:03, Roger Beever wrote:
>> On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 04:28, Homer wrote:
>> > On Sat, 2004-03-13 at 22:21, Chadley Wilson wrote:
>> >

>> >  If the M$ freaks can
>> in
>> One reason is that dll's and other items are included which makes the
>> program being installed work but could break another if the dll being
>> installed happens to be older than the one already there.
>> I do realised that some programmers installers check what is installed
>> before starting but there still a lot that don't.
>> With Linux you might well have all the dependencies installed So don't
>> need to download them.
>> Regards Roger
>>
> But the question would be is how do know what the dependencies are I
> always have to find out the hard way which means trial for half an hour
> then error for three days then glory the app works.
> Is there no easy way.
>
> I have had 7 clients return PCs to me because I have been very brave and
> put them on Linux platforms[FC1]. The only reason these systems have
> been returned is because the clients cant get things installed.
> Let me give you a breakdown of the user demands maybe you can assist.
>
> Let me start on the positive note:
>
> K3B is a brilliant app the guys love it to bits, it is very user
> friendly and it is skin-able it come with but one skin, Boo. But it is
> still early days for the app and I am sure it will improve.
>
> Xmms the negative note, Firstly it has no media library and searching
> for songs is difficult. I have a chap who wants to run his disco and so
> would I, using Linux and xmms or similar. I don't need a DJ Mixing
> station although would be nice with certain MP3s I have.
> Skins are few and square, the enduser base are demanding skins that have
> shape, forms and lots of character.
>
> Another negative is the volume controls in xmms respond very slowly
> especially in the equaliser to adjustments.
> I could go all night but these are simple things that need to be
> resolved.
>

> So you see I am certainly not trying beat linux with a wip I merely
> trying to point out that we are 5 years ahead on the OS but 5 behind on
> the apps.
> We need some how to create a balance.
> When I say the apps are behind I am not refering to functionaltiy I am
> refering to looks. People like what they see and want it. Out OS
> especially FC looks brilliant modern and cool, phrase it anyway you
> like. Where as windoze is nothing more than a good looking skin, it
> sells based on that skin. 90% of my Windoze clients cant use it but want
> the look.
>
> Chad

OK I was just making the single point re the dll's.
On the few ocasions I hav had a dependancy issue I was just told that
the dependant app would be added to ther download list.
So my perception id it works.
Clearly it does not for you so I have to bow out and leave further comment
to others.
Regards Roger