Nmap Version 3.50-1

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Mon Mar 15 22:41:57 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 22:32 +0000, Kevin Crookes wrote:
> Now I am not too sure if this is the right place or not to post this
> message but I have just recently fully updated FC1. I have come to
> install the new version of NMap on my FC1 box, and I receive this
> error. I am not 100% sure exactly why I am getting this error, but I
> am guessing it is because I don’t have a package installed which is
> need by nmap??
>

> [root at Foddy kevin]# rpm -U -v nmap-3.50-1.i386.rpm
>
> error: Failed dependencies:
>
>         libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 is needed by nmap-3.50-1
>
>         nmap = 2:3.48 is needed by (installed) nmap-frontend-3.48-1
>

> Any information would be great.

uninstall nmap-frontend
Grab the src.rpm for the new version of nmap.
build it - and you should be able to install the results without any
library issues, since it will be linked against YOUR version of libstdc+
+

rpmbuild --rebuild nmap-ver.src.rpm

That should rebuild the src rpm into a binary rpm suitable for your
system.

-=-
If you don't have a devel environment for building software - you are
probably best off just using yum to update nmap. Find a yum mirror that
has the new nmap, add it to your yum conf file - and

yum update nmap

yum will figure out everything you need.