How do I set up dual screen in linux by using NV-TV?

Antti Aspinen antti.aspinen at phnet.fi
Tue Mar 16 16:44:06 UTC 2004

Hello, I have a TV. It's a old, 1991 bought Philips, 15` and thats all I
know about it. However it is PAL TV, and it uses composite plug to
connect it to antenna. (I am not sure what PAL it is...) And then I have
this nVidia Geforce 2 GTS (from ASUS, model v7700Pro) and it supports
dual screen thought it's connectors (VGA, S-video, Composite). I
connected it with my old good C=64 TV-cable (composite) to that Philips.
Then I downloaded NV-TV from net and tried to set up gnome screen to
that tv, but nothing happened. I tried various configs and that was no
good. (And of course I tried to adjust TV too to find channel.)

Then I booted to WindowsXP Pro, :). And tried samething there. it didn't
either. I still got just black and white in that TV.
And plus, In windows I couldn't get dual screen, like in Linux.
Then I donwloaded program that can edit nVidia Geforce BIOS and tooked a
look what is the encoding standard set. it was in NTSC. However I didn't
changed it.

So before I'll do something stypid I wrote here to ask were I am doing
wrong. And what will happen if I change in GeForce BIOS that NTSC to
PAL. Or do I need a newer cable for connecting that tv to computer.

If someone can help me I would be very very happy. That's because I
could watch DVD movies without buying DVD player or newer TV. :)
And of course for playing quakeworld from my bed. My eyes won't stress
so much.

Thanks

-Antti-