MySQL Version 4

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Tue Mar 16 16:48:23 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 17:17 +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> However I found the concept of a derivative work which is not derived
> from the program interesting enough to discuss. It reminded me a bit of
> another company claiming copyright over work that was just passed via
> their mail servers a while ago.

Remember that when a program links with another one they are running in
the same space and are one derivate program resulting from an intimate
dependency, so you're actually including other code into your program ->
hence, derivate.

> They don't need to make such claims to make people need to acquire a
> license if they distribute their closed source program bundled with
> (parts of) mysql. Just the requirement that you can't distribute closed
> source programs bundled with mysql without a payed license should
> suffice.

They don't talk about bundling but about linking. You don't have
permission (since it's GPL'ed) to link with the libraries and keep your
part as proprietary. But if you just access mysql with your own
libraries or with a db agnostic method (like odbc) you don't link with
mysql but with some odbc library.

Rui

+ So let's do it...?