How can a programme installed as ROOT be used by a user?

James Kosin jkosin at beta.intcomgrp.com
Tue Mar 16 17:49:19 UTC 2004

Dear Nino,

| I've installed some programmes as root, but now I've discovered (I'm
| still learning Linux :( ) that they are invisible to the users!

How do you mean invisible?
Try checking the permissions on the files.  Do an 'ls -l' where the files
are installed and be sure that there is -rwxr-xr-x permissions on the
executable files and at lease -rw-r--r-- permissions on all the other files.
Try checking to see if the users have the path (where installed) in their
path.  This is more likely the cause.

| I've looked in my Linux guide and I've found how to configure a user
| account, but I didn't understand how to make that user to use ptogrammes
| installed by "root".

Another ????
You are correct by installing as root.  But, it depends on where they are
installed to...  location.
Can you elaborate on which programs you are having problems with?  Where you
installed them to?
Most problems will be one of the two above --or-- some configuration you
need to setup for the user to be able to use the product.

Without more information; we can only provide general solutions.

Good Luck,
James Kosin