Spam Assassin Speed

Jonathan Gardner jgardner at jonathangardner.net
Tue Mar 16 19:18:11 UTC 2004

On Sunday 14 March 2004 01:50 pm, J. Scott Amort wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After reading through a few threads on Spam Assassin, and given a recent
> increase in the amount of spam arriving in my inbox, I thought I would
> give it a whirl.  It is, however, terribly slow.  I belong to several
> mailing lists, and receive anywhere from 300-500 emails a day.  It seems
> to take Spam Assassin 20-30 seconds or so to process each email!  Is
> this usual?  I have tried both the spamassassin -e and spamc approaches
> to creating an evolution filter, but it made no difference in speed
> either way.  Any tips for speeding things up?

Scott,

I use SpamAssassin as a filter in procmail. I pre-filter all of the mailing
list messages into the appropriate mbox file, and only mail that gets
through is checked by SpamAssasin. Even though I get hundreds of mails a
day, only a few (about 10 or 20) are heading for my inbox and get checked
by SpamAssassin.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardner at jonathangardner.net