Unable to Build Kernel

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at insight.rr.com
Tue Mar 16 19:53:35 UTC 2004

Joe Dumais wrote:

> I attempted to build the 2.4.22-1.2115 kernel turning on the options
> for NFS support.  The kernel build crashes because of an undefined
> reference to active_load_balance in function schedule of
> kernel/sched.c.  I have a single-processor Pentium-II, and did not
> turn on any options for multi-procesing.  Whatever combination of
> options got turned on is causing a call to active_load_balance without
> compiling it.  I have gcc 3.2.  Any ideas what the problem could be?
> Attempts to change the sched.c code allowed me to build, but the
> resulting kernel would not run due to kernel panic.

The latest kernel is 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl, so you probably have not
applied any updates to your system. I am only going on the old kernel
information.

Anyway, your kernel is probably panicking because of the lack of an
intird image. You either have to create the intird image or not
reference one in the grub file. Also, if you have no intird image, you
must use actual device references within the kernel line.

Another note: there is an add on rpm that is available where you can
install it with the Fedora kernel. You install this and you will then
have the ability to read an ntfs file system.

Here is the link to the rpms for the ntfs module. This is not a kernel,
but the modules for different kernels and archetectures. I just looked
and there is a module for the *-2115.nptl kernel.

http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/rpm/fedora1.html

Jim