Deploying Red Hat Workstations

Christopher Ness nesscg at mcmaster.ca
Wed Mar 17 01:56:27 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 12:48, Chris Purcell wrote:
> 1) each workstation would execute a cron job daily that would download a
> script from our central server each day
> 2) that script would be executed by another cron job a few minutes later.
>  This script will contain any changes that I need to make.   If there
> aren't any updates for the day, then the script will be blank that day.

You will likely want some feedback about what succeeded and what
failed.  Assuming every install is successful would be a mistake.
Have each machine upload the results or email them to someone.

> Will this work?  There has to be something better than this out there.

Sure it will work.  But...

Why not create a local "up2date" server on your LAN that will only hold
the packages you want your machines to have.  I'm assuming you want them
all to be the same, correct.  Then set up2date to update automatically
from the 'up2date' local server.  Very little outgoing network traffic
and you control the packages/versions.  Seems good to me.

I'm not sure how to set up an "up2date/yum/apt-get" server but maybe
someone else has some experience.

Chris
--
Software Engineering IV,