lockup during boot with SMP kernel

rchart at sciencelogic.com rchart at sciencelogic.com
Wed Mar 17 03:44:27 UTC 2004

Hi,
I wonder if anyone can give me some pointers to resolving a problem I'm
having when trying to run FC1 with an SMP kernel.

I have an Intel SR1300 1U standard server with dual Xeon 2.8GHz, Adaptec
2120S SCSI controller setup for hardware RAID. It should be great
configuration, but I'm hitting persistent problems with the server locking
up during boot. It doesn't always happen at the same place - sometimes
during new hardware check, or when bringing up the interfaces, or when it
has got as far as the login prompt.

I was originally running 2.4.22-1.2115 kernel. I just applied
kernel-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm and
kernel-smp-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.i686.rpm - but the new SMP kernel does the
same thing. All is fine with a single proc kernel.

Anybody seen this elsewhere or have a suggested resolution path?

Thanks!

Richard Chart