Plans for DVD-ROM image?

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Wed Mar 17 04:51:08 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 20:18 -0800, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2004, David Nedrow wrote:
>
> > Going forward, are there any plans to provide a downloadable DVD-ROM
> > image in addition to the CD-ROM images?
> >
> > Since DVD-ROM drives are ubiquitous now and the Red Hat and now Fedora
> > distributions have become increasingly, ummmm, "beefy", being able to
> > install from a DVD-ROM disc is incredibly convenient.
> >
> > I know it's reasonably easy to build an image myself (and I do), but I
> > think it would be great to have a pre-built, official image for users
> > who may not want to roll their own.
>
> It takes a silly long time to download a dvd iso over your average home
> broadband connection.

Longer than downloading 4 cdrom iso's with equivalent data?
Besides - it wouldn't only benefit home downloaders, but LUG's and
others who distribute Linux (GNU/Linux or other ;) distributions on
burned media.

I actually prefer to get my distro's from places that download images
and burn them - saves bandwidth for the mirrors, which are always
clogged near time of fresh release.