Unscribe question

Swamper swamper at adelphia.net
Wed Mar 17 06:42:24 UTC 2004

Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:

> At 18:43 3/16/2004, you wrote:
> >The corporate mind, however meritocratic they may be,
> >might not like the loss of control that would happen if *the
> >community* actually moved some of this discussion to private
> >message boards.
>
> Garbage. (I'm trying to be polite here.)
>
> Such a thing exists, as pointed out by others on this thread. The
> *community* has already voted with their feet: few people visit the fora
> while many subscribe to the lists. Corporate meritocracy aside, that means
> (let me spell it out for you) that most people prefer the mailing list.
> Hence, community preference. Of course, as part of this community you are
> free to promote an existing message board or start another; what success
> you will have is impossible to predict accurately until/unless you actually
> try. But you *are* free to try.
>
> I particularly prefer mailing lists since I frequently go through 500 or so
> messages at a time on planes, in airports, and while waiting for others who
> are late for meetings. Having to go online to consult fora would eliminate
> easily 80% of my time spent here, effectively eliminating any use *I* get
> out of this community and also any help I provide to others (which
> hopefully is non-trivial).

You seem to think this is an all or nothing thing.  I said "some
of the discussion" and I'm sure the mailing lists will always be
around but the message boards do have their place.  The *thing*
that was pointed out in this thread is nice and more active than
I thought it would be and there are *more* than a few using it
but it's not operated by the Fedora Project.  My remark about
the corporate mind was intended as something that might get them
*it* to consider setting up a message board at their site.  Why
not? It would get used and would be an alternative for the folks
that want something besides this mailing list.  It doesn't mean
the mailing lists would stop being useful; it just means we
would have yet another way to keep up to date on all this.  For
me, email is something I've been trying to avoid as much as
possible because of the spam problem.  Many of the people I used
to exchange email with are using message boards now and more
than a few are even setting them up on their own sites.  I think
this is a trend that will continue because they *are* useful and
an alternative to email.