GTK-2 question

Maynard Kuona knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za
Wed Mar 17 10:12:32 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 03:47, Globe Trotter wrote:
> --- Maynard Kuona <knxmay001 at mail.uct.ac.za> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-03-16 at 20:35, Globe Trotter wrote:
> > > Sorry if this is not appropriate for posting here.
> > >
> > > I use GTK2-versions of Firefox for my browser and of sylpheed-claws for my
> > > e-mail  agent. I wanted to use separate themes/settings for each of these.
> > How
> > > do I set it up if I want to do that? Is it possible, or do I have to stick
> > with
> > > the same GTK2 settings for every application?
> > >
> > > Thanks and best wishes!
> > >

> > The GTK is a system wide theme. So you cannot use different themes per
> > app. That would be skinning, and would be frowned upon anyway.
>
> Hmmm....that's bad! Does that mean that despite the fact that there are so many
> themes available, I am stuck on having to use one theme for everything? Is
> there no way this can be got around?

No, that is not bad. That is good actually. The apps are supposed to
look the same and act the same because that his how the developers
intended it. It is bad usability to have application skinning. If you
want a skinnable app, then either look for a different one, or write one
;)

It was designed that way. How many Windows apps, or rather Microsoft
apps can you skin. Next to none. Skinning results in large
inconsistencies which are to be avoided.