Using java in FC1(with eclipse)-help needed

Craig Thomas cjtinhp at optonline.net
Wed Mar 17 12:10:42 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-17 at 01:29, Kaustubh Ghosh wrote:

> When I isuue the command $JAVA_HOME I get nothing.(just a blank line).
> How can I set the environment variables?Consider me a novice.Thanks.

You can set $JAVA_HOME [and other environment variables] in all sorts of
different places.  Where you do it is a matter of who, exactly, you are
setting it for:  I set $JAVA_HOME (and $CLASSPATH) in /etc/profile on
this machine.

You might try Googling 'java linux howto' as it turns up lots of good
looking results. 3rd result is this java install howto for RedHat
(should be the same for Fedora), :

 http://home.bredband.no/gaulyk/java/index.html

You'll  want the TXT version as the .sxw file requires OO.org, which
requires a working jre. [ an 'install java howto' in a java dependent
format- go figure ]

You also mentioned Eclipse and NetBeans not working...well they won't
until you straighten out your jsdk install as they're java programs and
need a jre to run.

Also note that the JSDK contains the JRE, you don't need both.

HTH,

-Craig