MySQL Version 4

Paul Thomas paul at tmsl.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 12:53:41 UTC 2004

On 16/03/2004 20:14 Wade Chandler wrote:
> I like PostgreSQL as far as it's simplicity and things go.  It's nice,
> and there are some good front ends for it.  The one complaint I have
> with Postgres is that it forks.
>
> MySQL and Firebird use threads and Postgres forks.  Forking is ok,
> unless you have many database connections.  The more connections the
> more processes.  I noticed while profiling an application that every
> connection alone was taking over 1MB of memory.  This based on the
> process per connection gripe I have.

I suggest you read up on kernel VM management. You might alter your
opinion of forking. And also remember that not all Unix's support threads
and PostgreSQL has a tradition of running on many different platforms.

> So, Postgres, sure I like it, but as far as a major DBMS goes, I think
> it is limited by it's memory usage.  That's just my opinion on the
> matter.  However, it is a fact that it forks (forking takes more time
> and more resources than threading).

Trivial compared to the overall query time. Any serious, high-volume app
is likely to be using connection pooling anyway.

> One benefit in forking is the same reason Apache forks( memory leaks can
> be minimized).  However, I think if a DBMS has that bad of a memory
> leak....I won't use it.

A threaded server could just as easily have memory leaks.

> I like to advocate Firebird as much as possible.  It runs on many
> platforms and seems to be pretty scalable as far as connections and
> usage goes, and it has a very flexible license as well.

 From what I've read, Firebird sounds like a decent DB.

--
Paul Thomas
| Thomas Micro Systems Limited | Software Solutions for
Business             |
| Computer Consultants         |