Deploying Red Hat Workstations

Chris Purcell redhat at cjp.us
Wed Mar 17 19:40:39 UTC 2004

>> 1) each workstation would execute a cron job daily that would download
>> a script from our central server each day
>
> I take it that the script is doing more than updating rpm packages.
>
> Can you make a pseudo code type list of what you intend
> to allow and exclude this script from doing.

Well, its just an idea at this point, I haven't actually written anything
yet.  All the script would do is grab whatever changes need to be made
from a central server (using scp), and then do whatever needs to be done
with them.  If I need to place a Perl script in /usr/bin on everyones
machines, the script would simply scp the script to /usr/bin.  If I needed
to install an RPM, the script would download the RPM and then install it.
Nothing too fancy.

Right now, I'm leaning towards creating a central apt-get (or yum) server
and packaging up any changes into an RPM package.

Chris