Plans for DVD-ROM image?

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 17 19:52:33 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:26:36AM +0000, Nigel Wade wrote:

> It might be reasonably cheap on a single system, but think about all
> those mirror servers out there. They'd have to store the 6 CD ISOs, the
> "small" DVD ISO and the full DVD ISO.
Yes,

I think the better strategy will be a community authored script that
takes the set of existing iso images and assembles them into a single
DVD image.

The advantage of this is that the RH guys only need
to get the CDROMs correct.  Someone else can be responsible
for the repackaging.... ;-) to a DVD.

At first I was in the "sure make a DVD" camp then I thought about my
DVD distribution or Oracle.  They put all the images on the DVD and
expected you to extract them to disk.  i.e. they really only had one
package and schlepped their mailing cost by munging them all on a
single DVD.

So if postage was a big issue DVDs make sense.  It is not.

In fact I might download all the CDROMs and the DVD images at the same
time not because I need both but because I could.  Thus the above "be
kind to our mirrors" is sage advice.

To keep life simple two flavors of DVD make sense to me.

   * The difficult one is the boot and load disc to replace
     the initial 3 (might be 4) CDROMS.

   * The easy one is to collect all the rpm images onto a single disc
     to facilitate installing selected packages or sources.

Anyhow I have told Santa that I want a pair of DVD burners for next
Christmas.  This time next year I may have other opinions and ideas.

Since the packaging of FC2 is coming up perhaps we can
get more illumination on the process, tools and scripts.
With that info others can figure out how to repackage.

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l