Wine & Java

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Mar 17 22:55:58 UTC 2004

Jim Sims wrote:
> Have Win98 HD now don't have WINE working (or not there?)  How do I make
> WINE work?

It can be a bit involved. A good start would be reading the WINE
documentation availible online at http://www.winehq.org

They may even have a FAQ and HOWTO hiding in there somewhere.

You should also go review some of the WINE discussions from this list by
going here http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/ and typing 'WINE'
into the search bar. In general, it's considered polite to search the
archives before asking here, as that can help cut down on repeat
questions and make the active traffic more relevant.

In particular, the description of where to find an rpm that's already
been tweaked to get around the bug with prelink is:
http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat/en/i386/fc1/RPMS.newrpms/

> And installed the java plugin, and it seems to be on the desktop, but
> doesn't show up in my Mozilla browser plugins.  Installation
> instructions say to Make a *symbolic link* to libjavaplugin_oji.so in
> your Mozilla Plugins directory, but don't know how to do that.
>
> Any help on this?  And forgive my being a newbie.

Menu->System Tools->Terminal to open a terminal window, if you don't
have one open already.

Become root using the "su" command, then run the following:
"ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.2/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/"

If your Java isn't under /usr/java/j2re1.4.2, adjust as neccessary.

As a newbie, you may enjoy the following 'intro to Linux' document:

http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/LDP/intro-linux/html/