Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 18 00:07:16 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 17.03.2004 schrieb George Lemos um 22:01:

George, please do not fill your mail with so much empty lines! If you
want to separate parts like configuration files please mark them
different.

> OK, I'm working on the configuration and am attempting to make this work via
> xinetd.
> My issue right now is Im stuck in anonymous FTP only! I have the config
> file:
>
> /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf file set with the directive:
>
> anonymous_enable=NO
>
> I save, then restart xinetd, and when connecting via FTP I still get "This
> is Anonymous Only!"
>
> I'm doing this in VI, and I have a question as to WHY the part that has
> "anonymous_enable" is highlighted. No matter what I can remember to try, it
> remains highlighted in the editior. The only way to de-highlight it is to
> misspell it. When I spell it correctly again, it becomes highlighted again.
> Not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that it is keeping the
> daemon is anonymous only.

vim has highlightning support, it's a feature and no bug. On the command
prompt running vim and opened a file type in "/foo". If it finds the
string "foo" inside the file it will highlight that string. I guess you
once searched for "NO". Let vim search for "brz" and it will no more
hightlight something.

> The below is the content of:
>
> /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd

> # default: off
> #       normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
> service ftp
> {
>         socket_type             = stream
>         wait                    = no
>         user                    = root
>         server                  = /usr/sbin/vsftpd
>         nice                    = 10
>         disable                 = no
>         flags                   = IPv4
> }

This is ok for an xinetd service.

> I have not done ANYTHING to the /etc/services file - should I edit the entry
> that is there now with vsftpd? Here are the entrys for ports 20/21:
>
> ftp-data        20/tcp
> ftp-data        20/udp
> # 21 is registered to ftp, but also used by fsp
> ftp             21/tcp
> ftp             21/udp          fsp fspd

No! Do not edit the /etc/services file! Leave it untouched.

> ---I'm not 100% sure what the fsp is.

You do not have to care for that.

> Suggestions? Thanks!

I do not have knowledge about vsftpd as I am a pure-ftpd and proftpd
user. The documentation of the vsftpd should help you. Else google
certainly helps you to find comprehensive configuration helps. I quickly
found this link:

http://www.chinalinuxpub.com/doc/www.siliconvalleyccie.com/linux-hn/ftp-server.htm

> /g

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 00:55:38 up 9 days, 1:14, load average: 0.16, 0.18, 0.16
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]