authentication question

K. Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Thu Mar 18 01:02:22 UTC 2004

I'm at a loss for how to do authentication well for a small group of
linux machines.

We have several linux hosts, all of which run samba, and all of which
should use a single password per user, or at least, a single password
change program which changes all passwords.  Samba really wants to use a
domain server or to keep it's own password database separate from the
unix passwords.

Any suggestions on how to get these all authenticated off the same database?

The only thing I can see to do is to turn one into a domain controller
and have everything else authenticate off that.  Are there any other
alternatives?

--rich