Sendmail / Email copy

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Mar 18 01:17:29 UTC 2004

Am Do, den 18.03.2004 schrieb Rick Stevens um 01:44:

> It is absolutely clean and straight for single users.  procmail is used
> as the LDA on any message destined for a local mailbox anyway.  Make it
> do its job with a localized "~/.procmailrc" for the users that need that
> feature.  They could also do a similar thing with "~/.forward".
>
> That's what those things are there for--to allow single users to tweak
> things without affecting the general system.
>
> (speaking as a guy who manages 50,000+ mail accounts on 10,000 domains)

I agree that ~/.procmailrc and ~/.forward files are there for some user
tasks like mail forwarding. Being in the user's home the user has power
over them. But

1) the emergency account on the customer's server seemed to me being
more an administrative account for health checking and notification
purposes. This was one reason to state the it might be better placed
inside the aliases file.

2) let the user's .procmailrc call two additional sendmail processes is
not what you in general want and I feel that those examples show the way
to at least "sub-optimal" setups.

Of course there are several roads leading to Rome. Here with a mail
server setup I think the admin should not waste resources without need.

(It is something like useless use of cat within "cat file | grep foo".
It might not really count in single use, but within script usage it
might already be very different. Ok, not the best example. Take another
one like "find / -exec grep foo {} \;" in contrast to "find / print0 |
xargs -0 grep foo".)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 02:01:00 up 9 days, 2:20, load average: 0.40, 0.17, 0.16
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]