Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

George Lemos listreader at lemosnet.com
Thu Mar 18 03:13:49 UTC 2004

> vim has highlightning support, it's a feature and no bug. On
> the command
> prompt running vim and opened a file type in "/foo". If it finds the
> string "foo" inside the file it will highlight that string. I
> guess you
> once searched for "NO". Let vim search for "brz" and it will no more
> hightlight something.

Ahh, excellent -- Thanks, after I searched for something else that highlight
went away. Wasn't sure if that was affecting the problem I am having. Good
to know none the less.

> No! Do not edit the /etc/services file! Leave it untouched.

QUESTION: Since we are on this  services file topic for the moment, if there
ever a time we DO edit the services file? Do programs we install edit it? I
must think that we do edit it manually at some point. I thought for sure I
would have to put something in there for the use of xinetd.

> I do not have knowledge about vsftpd as I am a pure-ftpd and proftpd
> user. The documentation of the vsftpd should help you. Else google
> certainly helps you to find comprehensive configuration
> helps. I quickly
> found this link:
>
> http://www.chinalinuxpub.com/doc/www.siliconvalleyccie.com/lin
> ux-hn/ftp-server.htm

Thank you Alexander, I am actually a huge proponent of googling things. I
already had that site bookmarked. Some of the documentation does not match
as it is for different distros it seems. I find myself bouncing from site to
site sometimes trying to get it right, but the experience is all good.

I'm still working here at home now remotely connected to the test box with
VSFTPD. Its definitely the VSFTD dameon because upon connection it clearly
states 220 (vsFTPd 1.2.0). It seems like it will not refresh the .conf file
with the change that anonymous should be NO.

I'll bost my config file below:

# Example config file /etc/vsftpd.conf
#
# The default compiled in settings are fairly paranoid. This sample file
# loosens things up a bit, to make the ftp daemon more usable.
# Please see vsftpd.conf.5 for all compiled in defaults.
#
# READ THIS: This example file is NOT an exhaustive list of vsftpd options.
# Please read the vsftpd.conf.5 manual page to get a full idea of vsftpd's
# capabilities.
#
# Allow anonymous FTP? (Beware - allowed by default if you comment this
out).
anonymous_enable=NO
#
# Uncomment this to allow local users to log in.
local_enable=YES
#
# Uncomment this to enable any form of FTP write command.
# write_enable=YES
#
# Default umask for local users is 077. You may wish to change this to 022,
# if your users expect that (022 is used by most other ftpd's)
local_umask=022
#
# Uncomment this to allow the anonymous FTP user to upload files. This only
# has an effect if the above global write enable is activated. Also, you
will
# obviously need to create a directory writable by the FTP user.
#anon_upload_enable=YES
#
# Uncomment this if you want the anonymous FTP user to be able to create
# new directories.
#anon_mkdir_write_enable=YES
#
# Activate directory messages - messages given to remote users when they
# go into a certain directory.
dirmessage_enable=YES
#
# Activate logging of uploads/downloads.
xferlog_enable=YES
#
# Make sure PORT transfer connections originate from port 20 (ftp-data).
connect_from_port_20=YES
#
# If you want, you can arrange for uploaded anonymous files to be owned by
# a different user. Note! Using "root" for uploaded files is not
# recommended!
#chown_uploads=YES
#chown_username=whoever
#
# You may override where the log file goes if you like. The default is shown
# below.
#xferlog_file=/var/log/vsftpd.log
#
# If you want, you can have your log file in standard ftpd xferlog format
xferlog_std_format=YES
#
# You may change the default value for timing out an idle session.
#idle_session_timeout=600
#
# You may change the default value for timing out a data connection.
#data_connection_timeout=120
#
# It is recommended that you define on your system a unique user which the
# ftp server can use as a totally isolated and unprivileged user.
#nopriv_user=ftpsecure
#
# Enable this and the server will recognise asynchronous ABOR requests. Not
# recommended for security (the code is non-trivial). Not enabling it,
# however, may confuse older FTP clients.
#async_abor_enable=YES
#
# By default the server will pretend to allow ASCII mode but in fact ignore
# the request. Turn on the below options to have the server actually do
ASCII
# mangling on files when in ASCII mode.
# Beware that turning on ascii_download_enable enables malicious remote
parties
# to consume your I/O resources, by issuing the command "SIZE /big/file" in
# ASCII mode.
# These ASCII options are split into upload and download because you may
wish
# to enable ASCII uploads (to prevent uploaded scripts etc. from breaking),
# without the DoS risk of SIZE and ASCII downloads. ASCII mangling should be
# on the client anyway..
#ascii_upload_enable=YES
#ascii_download_enable=YES
#
# You may fully customise the login banner string:
ftpd_banner=Welcome to windmere FTP service.
#
# You may specify a file of disallowed anonymous e-mail addresses.
Apparently
# useful for combatting certain DoS attacks.
#deny_email_enable=YES
# (default follows)
#banned_email_file=/etc/vsftpd.banned_emails
#
# You may specify an explicit list of local users to chroot() to their home
# directory. If chroot_local_user is YES, then this list becomes a list of
# users to NOT chroot().
#chroot_list_enable=YES
# (default follows)
#chroot_list_file=/etc/vsftpd.chroot_list
#
# You may activate the "-R" option to the builtin ls. This is disabled by
# default to avoid remote users being able to cause excessive I/O on large
# sites. However, some broken FTP clients such as "ncftp" and "mirror"
assume
# the presence of the "-R" option, so there is a strong case for enabling
it.
#ls_recurse_enable=YES

pam_service_name=vsftpd
userlist_enable=YES