Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Mar 18 03:41:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, William H. Bowen wrote:

> George,
>
>   If you don't mind me jumping in in the
> middle of this discussion, that list of FTP
> programs looks pretty normal to me. Pretty
> much matches (except for versions) my RH
> 9 system.
>
>   If you are running VSFTPD under XINETD,
> the way I kill and restart it is via WebMin: go
> to Servers, Extended Internet Services, and
> you can stop and restart any service run via
> XINETD there. You could consult the
> documentation for XINETD to get the
> command line syntax for this function, which
> I do not remember off the top of my head.

Of course, you need to install Webmin, which doesn't come with Fedora
Core.

The FC1 GUI tool for this is redhat-config-services.  The command-line
tool is chkconfig.  If the service is listed in /etc/init.d, start and
stop it with service vsftpd [stop|start].  If it's listed in
/etc/xinetd.d, then it only starts on connection, so just turn it on or
off.

> Regards,
>   Bill Bowen
>   Sacramento, CA
>
> P.S. I don't know if your experience with
> Fedora is the same or not, but VSFTPD
> seems to be much happier running under
> XINETD on my RH9 box than as a stand-
> alone (under XINETD was the default in
> RH8; changed to stand-alone in RH9 for I
> cannot remember what reason). From what I
> can gather by reading the docs available out
> there, even the developers of VSFTPD
> recommend running the program under
> XINETD.

I've had it work fine both ways, but upgrading from xinetd mode in RH8 to
daemon mode in RH9 caused some problems due to modified config files.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu