Server freezes when running daily cronjob

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Mar 18 11:47:13 UTC 2004

Alexander Troppmann wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm running a webserver with Fedora Core 1 and have troubles with an (yet
>unkown) daily running cronjob. It seems that a process started from
>/etc/cron.daily at 4:02h in the morning freezes the linux kernel so the
>server returns back to work by a hardware reset only... :-(
>
>Unfortunatly I cannot find out which one is the process responsible for the
>server crash. I tried to run each job from console myself but everything was
>fine, no errors or kernel freezes.

Is you system running the SMP kernel??

I had this on my P4 Hyperthreading PC..

It would apprear that the problem is caused by something that RH has
added to the Kernel.. The way I fixed it was to download the standerd
kernel source from kernel.org and then using the FC1 .config file I
built a new SMP kernel.. Since then it has been rock solid for over a
month now.. Not a single crash or hang..

Maybe give it a try..

Later..