Updating VSFTPD from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1.

Matthew Saltzman mjs at ces.clemson.edu
Thu Mar 18 14:28:42 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, George Lemos wrote:

> Well its about 1AM and I'm about ready to make this a project to hopefully
> finish in the morning. Me latest update to follow...
>
> I understand a few things better now.. Then possibly confused myself
> further.. LOL
>
> I went into /etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd and changed the line disable = YES to
> disable = NO then entered the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
> This effectively shut down vsftpd.
>
> Then while reading some documentation online I noticed they listed the
> command to start it via /etc/init.d/vsftpd start
> I was not aware it had this option! I didn't think the RPM put that script
> there. Did it? Maybe from the original fedora install. This STARTED the
> vsftpd and ALSO read my configuration file! Anonymous was OFF, and the
> banner I entered WAS displayed!

vsftpd can be run either through xinetd or as a standalone daemon.  If it
runs through xinetd, then xinetd listens to the FTP port (see
/etc/services) and when a connection is detected, it starts vsftpd and
hands he connection off.  When run as a daemon, vsftpd is started on boot
by the script in /etc/init.d (AKA /etc/rc.d/init.d), and it listens for
connections on its own.

You should have only one of /etc/xinetd.d/vsfptd and /etc/init.d/vsftpd.
In Red Hat 8, it was /etc/xinetd.d/vsfptd, but in Red Hat 9 (and Fedora),
it's /etc/init.d/vsftpd.

Also, you need to have the config file for vsftpd tell it which way it's
running.  In the daemon mode, the RPM version of /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf
contains

	pam_service_name=vsftpd
	userlist_enable=YES
	#enable for standalone mode
	listen=YES
	tcp_wrappers=YES

at the bottom.

You can certainly switch between daemon mode and xinted mode, but if
you're new at this, you should probably run things the way the packagers
set them up.  If you upgraded from RH8, it is possible that the update to
this package didn't go smoothly.   You might want to remove and reinstall
the vsfptd RPM and reconfigure.  Make sure you don't have
/etc/xinetd.d/vsftpd.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences