installing kernel 2.6.4 on (not over) 2.4

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Thu Mar 18 14:43:47 UTC 2004

Michal Zeravik wrote:

> Yes, original 'nv' X driver works well on 2.6. But there are more issues
> prevent me for using 2.6 kernel, eg. cupsd and pppd failed to start...
> I will be waiting for FC2.

cups seems to work for me with 2.6.4 exactly as with 2.4.25.
(I send print commands from my laptop to the printer
attached to my desktop, wirelessly.)

I don't use pppd, but everything seems to work for me with 2.6.4
as with 2.4.25 .
Am I just lucky?
Nb I'm using vanilla kernels from http://www.kernel.org in both cases.

The only problem with 2.6.* kernels is that I had to compile and install
kernel-init-tools (which I got from www.kernel.org).
This didn't seem to be documented anywhere.
Also the 2.6.* kernels read /etc/modprobe.conf instead of modules.conf
(which could be the problem with the original poster).
Again, this doesn't seem well-documented to me.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366