oo

Tom 'Needs A Hat' Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 18 17:50:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 05:32:05PM -0800, Kent Loobey wrote:

> So, I made the mistake of clicking on "OpenOffice.org Writer Word processor"
> in root and now when ever I click on it in the a user title bar it tries to
> install OpenOffice again in my user area and gives me the following message:
>
> "An error occurred while copying the file libgcc_s.so.1 to
> home/kent/OpenOffice.org1.1.0/program."
> So, I was able to find a copy of this file in /lib.  I copied it.  The next
> I did a search and this file is not on my computer.  So what is going on here?
> I can "su" into root and run oowriter and it works fine.

Compare and contrast the active environment with "su" and "su -".
With "su" your home is unchanged.  With "su -" the environment
is cleaned up.

I suspect you did a "su" then started oo.
oo then made directories and moved or copied files.

As your normal user try this command:

   find . -uid 0 -print

If it is a directory use "ls -ld" to see the  permission details.
If it is a file use "ls -l" to see the permission details.

If you find a file with strange permissions you may need to "su" or
"su -" so a "chown kent:kent file-or-dir" will work.  Of interest
"su -" will place you in the home for root so you may have to change
directory ("cd") so the file names printed by find have the same
relative path name.

Good luck,
Tom

--